Thursday 11 September 2014

Melt For Him by Lauren Blakely


I was given an Advanced Reader Copy of Melt for Him by Entangled Publishing under the condition that I give a completely honest review of the book on my blog and Amazon.

Book Blurb 
Fire captain and bar owner Becker Thomas usually spends his nights alone, trying to escape painful memories from his past. When he meets a sexy, free-spirited brunette outside his bar, he knows he’s found the perfect way to forget for one night. But when he discovers the woman he wants back in his bed is his best friend’s sister, everything comes to a halt.

Megan Jansen has one rule—no firemen. Just out of a toxic relationship, she’s only in Hidden Oaks long enough to visit her brother and photograph the local calendar before she slips off on another adventure. The brooding man who gave her the best sex ever is an unexpected surprise. The problem is, he’s her brother’s friend…and a fireman. She knows she’s going to get burned, but keeping their hands off each other is easier said than done.

Review 

I’ve never read any of Lauren Blakely’s other work so I went into Melt for Him with a completely open, unbiased opinion. Melt for Him is the second book in Lauren’s Fighting Fire novella series with Entangled Publishing’s Brazen imprint. 

I’m a prolific reader. On average I read at least a book a day, and quite often more than that. I love to read and rarely need to force my way through a book. But I really, really struggled with Melt for Him. I stopped and started it 5 times and only finished it because I committed to doing an honest review. 

My major problem with this book was the dialogue. It had no tone; none of the characters had a distinctive, individual voice. Every single piece of dialogue was constructed like it came from the mouth of one person. It wasn’t witty or exciting, it wasn’t sassy or cute. It wasn’t funny or engaging. It also wasn’t realistic. 

The characters themselves felt un-evolved and one-dimensional.  Becker Thomas was promoted as a tortured, sexy alpha but he comes across as a little silly, a little clueless and not at all strong, sexy or tortured. Megan was annoying from the start. She was described as sexy and free-spirited but she came across as cliché and a little cloying. The characters feel contrived, unrealistic and were the opposite of relatable. 

The sex scenes seemed perfunctory and they completely fizzled. There was absolutely no chemistry between the characters and the entire book was both unrealistic and forgettable. 
As always, I urge to go out and grab a copy of Melt for Him for yourself. Maybe you’ll see something in the pages that I missed, and I certainly hope you do. I’d also like to note that  Lauren Blakely donated half of her author proceeds from the pre-orders and release week sales to the NVFC Firefighter Support Fund, which an incredibly worthy cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment